To my dearest pup, happy first Gotcha Day. ♥
I can’t believe a year has already passed since I brought home my pup from GRA Canada. This adventure so far definitely had its ups and downs but I wouldn’t trade it for anything in the world.
It amazes me that this little 70 lb bundle of joy could make such a huge impact on my life. There are days where I imagine what life would be without him and I get legitimately sad. He’s a lot of work, a lot of money, and can make me upset at times (i.e. eating raccoon poop – seriously Toby, why?!?!), but he’s worth it.
He’s grown so much from when I first brought him home. He’s become more comfortable and definitely came out of his shell. He’s a smart boy and tolerates a lot of the excessive lovin’ I give him.
There were moments throughout the past year where I’ve doubted myself and my capabilities as a dog owner. It’s hard when you’re always hard on yourself and you simply just want the best for your dog. A good friend of mine helped me realize something important. I was having a rough time because it’s confusing when you’re a first-time dog owner and you’re trying to do everything right. She said to me, “I don’t think you’re enjoying this as much as you should be”. That opened my eyes to the bigger picture.
You adopted this dog because you wanted to share this new adventure with your new best friend and enjoy the relationship you create with your pet. Don’t try to be the “best dog owner ever”. Just be the best dog owner that you can be. And that’s more than enough for your furry family member.
So, here are some things I’d tell myself a year ago:
- Don’t compare yourself to other people. You’re doing just fine.
- Toby will be just fine. You don’t need to worry over every single detail and he’s stronger than you think.
- Patience is key.
- Be careful about information overload. You’ll have so many great resources, but don’t try to fix all the problems in one day.
- Don’t try to be perfect. It’s okay to make mistakes. And it’s okay to cry.
- Nothing ever goes perfectly as planned. Roll with the punches.
- And most importantly, enjoy having a dog.
But in the end of it all… Thank you, Toby for being the best dog anyone could ever ask for. You’re my ray of sunshine and I can’t wait to see what adventures we have ahead of us.
Here’s to many more Gotcha Day anniversaries ahead of us.
Until the next post,